Small Musical Verge Bracket Clock
Height: 18" or 46 cm
Eardley Norton, London. Clockmaker to King George III. C.1780.
The clock is a triple fusee musical repeating table clock with verge escapement. It has four different tunes; Lovely Nancy, Minuet, March and Coronation to choose from and can be set to Chime or not chime on the other subsidiary dial.
The maximum height which includes the finial on top is approximately 18″ (This is very small for the type of clock movement at this time c.1770). The case is a highly figured mahogany with a stunning colour and patination.
Eardley Norton (1728 – 1792)
Eardley Norton was from yeoman stock, who are believed to have farmed at Rigsby, Lincolnshire. He was apprenticed as a clockmaker on 25 May 1743 to Robert Dawson of Alford. He is listed as working at 49 St. John’s Street, Clerkenwell between 1760 and 1794. He was also a member of the Clockmakers’ Company being freed in 1770 and remained a member until his death in 1792. He applied for a patent for a new type of striking mechanism for clocks and watches on 31 August 1771.
He’s renowned with a reputation as a very skilled clockmaker. He is most well known for making highly complex timepieces, sometimes with musical and astronomical movements for the export markets. These included Turkey and the Far East. The most notable of which may be his four-dial astronomical clock which he made to stand in the library of Buckingham House, now Buckingham Palace. In addition, there are clocks made by him in the Royal Collection, numerous museums worldwide and some of the world’s finest collections including a bracket clock in the Virginia Museum, a very small cartel clock in the National Museum of Stockholm, a marine chronometer in the Ilbert Collection at the British Museum in London and an elaborate automaton clock with organ in the Palace Museum located in Peking. He married Mary Swinnerton of Oswestry, and after retirement lived at Stonegrove House (no longer existing), Little Stanmore, Middlesex, in the parish of Whitchurch. On his death, his business was taken over by the partnership of Gravell and Tolkien. He is buried at St. Lawrence’s church in Little Stanmore.
Serviced and guaranteed for 3 years.